Pages

Friday, January 13, 2012

Outward Hound Urban Adventure DayPack

One of the items I received in the package sent to be my my Shiba Inu Forum secret Santa was a small pack.  I love packs (if you can't tell) so I was psyched to try the little green thing out.

The little pack is made by Outward Hound but I can't find any information on it on their site or much else on the web. Either way, it's a cute little thing and I liked it at first sight.
It weighs only 4.1 ounces (116 grams).

It's made out of water proof/resistant (haven't tested it yet) nylon fabric and is lined with what my guess is, is a waterproof lining of similar material.  There is mesh on the top and wrapped around the chest strap.

There is no padding on this pack but the mesh on the chest strap does protect against rubbing and ensures a more comfortable fit.  It has two points of adjustability.  Since the bags to not attach to the straps any lower, they do flop around and smack the dog's sides somewhat.

There is a small plastic D ring sewn onto the top.  I am a bit hesitant to use this as a leash attachment since it does not connect to the rest of the pack's straps very well.

Green camo accent matches my dog-shit bag dispenser.
The pockets are quire roomy for such a small pack, and each pocket has a smaller outer pouch.  The pockets are closed with velcro and have a small pull-tab on them for easier opening.  The small external pouch with the logo is also closed with velcro, but the other side is not.

Conker immediately knew what the pack was.  He is not fond of having anything put on him, but once it's on, he doesn't show any signs of giving a crap.  We tested the pack out by walking down to MPM and even threw in a couple brisk jogging sessions.  The pack was empty on the way there.
On the trip back Conker carried one small Zuke's Z-Bones in each pocket.  We walked, and jogged, back and the little pack did not shift one bit.  I was somewhat surprised since it has no connector between the two straps to help it stay in place, and also has no belly strap.
I decided it needed a better test run.  I took Conker hiking.

Conker sporting his Web Master II and DayPack.
I was first going to take off the Web Master II that Conker always wears on car rides but due to the presence of another dog and several people on the trail, I left it on.  I think this could have affected the stability of the pack in a small manner, but I have to do more tests to be sure.

Fuji is good at capturing motion blur.
Conker didn't notice the pack which was loaded with his Hydro Bowl and some crap bags.  It was slightly unbalanced but the pack did not shift.  I was starting to really like the little pack.  I encouraged Conker to give it a better test and told him to run, so he did.  The pack did not budge.  He rolled on the trail and scrambled through a bush and even then the pack stayed in place.

This little pack has thoroughly surprised me.  I figured it would slip and slide a bit or come loose but it did not.  It stayed in place and kept it's snug fit the entire hike.  I have taken it on a couple more hikes and it still has yet to totally slip around or do something strange.
I have actually been looking for a smaller pack for Conker since his Ruff Wear pack is a bit big for day hikes. This little pack fits the bill perfectly, and if you can find it, I recommend you buy one.  I cannot give a price since it was a gift and due to not being able to find many places to buy one online.

Note: This pack is made in China. If you aren't into that, don't buy it. Regardless, I still like it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment