Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Thanks for ruining my day, Conker

Today was a relatively "nice" day, about 50 degrees with patches of clouds and sunshine here and there. The ground was a bit damp but not soaked like it normally is. Juneau has been off all medications for a short while and her mouth looks good (to me, a non expert, at least) and has been needing some exercise. I took the dogs hiking.
It was almost a disaster.

Blurryface Juneau
The first 3/4's of the hike went well. We didn't run into anyone, saw no critters and the dogs were relatively well behaved. Juneau is still adamant about walking just off the trail which is annoying, but I don't think she's ever going to realize that walking on the trail is what I'd prefer.

As we are nearing the last portion of the hike that is pretty close to the parking lot I hear the sound I'd hoped I wouldn't. Horse hooves, and they appeared to be going at a pretty good clip compared to what I normally encounter. That meant I didn't have as much time as usual to gather up the dogs.
I rapidly grabbed Juneau (the horse-reactive dog) and struggled to get her leash on. I dragged her and Sasha over to the side and... and... where's Conker?

BAROOOO ROO ROO ROO!

Shit.

The stupid dumbass charged the damn horse! He let out the shortest growl I'd ever heard before he went barreling towards the horse, demanding it do whatever the hell he was telling it to. So much for a nice warning. The rider pulled the horse up and stopped as Conker advanced to within one foot of the horse, fur bristled, bellowing out that loud obnoxious bay of his.
Despite my colorful language directed at Conker, the rider seemed amused. The horse just stood there and looked at him with little or no interest whatsoever. Conker continued to bark and bay at the horse as I apologized over and over, unable to retrieve my stupid dog since I didn't want to risk getting Juneau any closer to the horse than she already was.

As I was trying to find a way of getting Conker without scaring the horse or getting Juneau any closer, Conker noticed a terrier who was acompanying the horse about 30 seconds into his vocal attack and split off to pursue the terrier into a game of chase. Again I apologized many times as the rider and horse began to move on. She just smiled and said it was alright (which is wasn't) and that the horse likes dogs.

Lucky me.

She correctly guessed Conker's breed as a Shiba Inu, which I found somewhat amusing, but other than that the whole encounter was really, really bad.

Conker could have been killed if that horse was not a "dog friendly" one, or the rider could have been thrown or something worse. It all would have been my fault, and I feel really stupid for what he did. This doesn't mean he's never going off-leash again, it just means that privilege has been revoked (at Cathedral Hills and other horse trail areas) until I can hammer into his head that horses are to be ignored, not barked at.  The problem with Conker is, if he's done it once, he's going to do it again.

3 comments:

  1. Good horse. I've seen a dog that was horse kicked in the head, and it was...unpleasant.

    Halfghan Kali used to climb the fence and wander around pretty regularly. We live on open range, which means cows, which means that I knew she'd encounter one at some point. When she did, though, she kept about eight feet off, out of kicking range, and broke it off before the cow charged.

    I hate cows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saya has met my neighbor's horse at least one of them they got four and they come to the fence to be petted when I walk by with the dogs.

    The horse that met Saya put his head down to Saya and sniffed her Luckily Saya was curious and just sniffed the horse.

    The neighbor has a golden retriever which is super friendly and well behaved and they also have a chow chow.

    I dunno what Saya would do if she met them off leash or met a horse walking around with a rider..

    Bella would want to give chase my guess and Saya would if off leash maybe? She gets excited when she sees deer run away. S

    ReplyDelete