It's often a nasty thing. But when it comes to Conker, dog breath isn't. his breath is neutral or slightly meaty, I think it smells nice. Juneau's breath has a tinge of "dog" to it but it isn't bad either. Sasha on the other hand... Don't go sticking your nose in her mouth. It does not smell good.
These are Sasha's teeth. I don't have any good ones of Juneau's since she is intolerant of people grabbing her mouth like that to compare, but her teeth look almost exactly the same.
While Sasha's teeth don't instantly look nasty, I've seen many dogs with far worse, they are still gross enough for me to want to do something about it. She has large deposits of tartar on her upper canines and carnassial teeth. There is a bit on her molars as well but not as much.
Unfortunately Mom is one of those: "Well I've never had to brush my dog's teeth before so why should I do it now?" Types. I attempted to explain why a dog's teeth should be well taken care of but she was still blah blah blah about the brushing thing. Which by the way, was not what I was talking about. Even after I dropped the price on how much it might cost to get their teeth cleaned at the vet if we didn't do anything about it she still had the same mentality.
So I've decided that I'm going to get rid of the tartar myself. I've heard good things about Plaque Off and are probably going to try that first. As soon as more room opens up in the freezer I'm going to buy a rack of beef ribs for the Girls as well since those ribs I gave them when I got here helped a little.
*whine* The bed isn't made! *whine*
Stupid dog.
Anyways, I've found the Plaque Off at the Grange for something like $18. That's not too bad of a price compared to some online sites and so far it's the only place I've been able to find it. And if it works, $20 is nothing compared to what might happen if nothing is done about their teeth.
Plus Conker, since he's an idiot and doesn't chew his food, is beginning to get some plaque on his molars and I don't want it there so he can try it out too. So when I get back from Lake Tahoe I'm going to pick some up and see how well it works.
Yay, another Plaque-Off user! And you did something that I was not able to do -- get a good "before" picture to compare! We've had good luck with it for general oral maintenance. But one of Bowpi's nicknames is still "Stinkmouth." I think it's a chronic condition for her, but no doubt she HAS improved since we started her on Plaque Off and RMBs and other good stuff. I just don't have the photos to prove it. ;)
ReplyDelete$18 is a great price. Retail is usually $22-$25 around here. That little jar goes a LONG way. Of course, Sasha and Juneau are bigger...