Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

We went hiking today

Conker was like this the whole way up.

I don't wanna climb the stupid hill!

Today is scheduled to have "scattered thunderstorms" but that really means just rain here and there with possibly one thunder boom if that.  It doesn't thunder here, maybe once a year and we already had that.
But it was a nice day, in the mid 70's with a pleasantly cool breeze, so I grabbed conker and headed up to Dollar Hill.  I'm still badly out of shape and it took a short while to get to the cell tower.  We didn't stay there long and instead headed down to some neat-o rocks to take a break.

Conker sniffed around on the rocks for a bit then decided he wanted to keep going.  But I made him get a drink first then told him NO, you CANNOT chase the freakin rabbit that just ran in front of you. He was good and didn't.  So we headed down the hill at a faster clip than last time.  Okay, not fast but really fast.  I was basically running like a dumbass down the hill with my backpack flopping everywhere, my camera threatening to fly down the hill and my shoes (which were attached to the backpack) hitting me in the butt.  My guess was they wanted me to go faster.

Conker thought this was the best part of the hike!  He took off at full speed down the hill when he could, mouth open, tongue hanging out and tail streaked out behind him.  When he's having a lot of fun he runs like that but also throws in a couple bounces every few steps.  He's not running in the picture above since I never had my digital out when he was (too busy trying not to die) but it's close enough.

Oh, also, did you notice something in the two pictures of Conker where you can see his whole body?  Something's missing, I'll give you 100 internet points if you can tell me what it is.

Anyways, it was a fun little hike that went a lot faster than normal since we  RAN down the dang hill.  Except in one spot where it's killer steep.  Conker decided to do a run-by attempt at knocking me on my ass and waited until I was about 10 feet in front of him then bolted down the hill and slammed into my knee.  Luckily for him I've got good balance even on super steep grades and didn't fall backwards onto his stupidness.  The worst he did was send himself spinning into a tree.  

Lookit Grant's Pass.  It's surrounded by awesome mountains.  And rain.

Oh yeah it's my sister's 16th birthday today.  And on our way home from the hike I saw these three girls walking down the street so I freaked them out by honking at them.  They yelled then realized who it was and yelled some more then chased me and demanded a ride home.  I was nice and picked them up.

Conker, since he was such a good boy today, was given one of his birthday trachea chews.  I normally like to cut them up into smaller pieces but he was good enough to have earned 2/3rds of one instead of 1/3rd.  He made a nasty mess on my bed though, but did a okayish job at cleaning it up.

6 comments:

  1. Conker's lead is missing! He's an off-leash shiba!

    i'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Taro gets 100 internet points!
    I was a but nervous at first but Conker was great. He did everything I told him to and when that rabbit ran out and he didn't chase it... Man was I impressed. I'm still going to be super careful though and only have him off-leash in areas I know and when other people aren't around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was gasping at the absence of the leash! you are more ballsy than I am!

    beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So funny and full of the 'running downhill' butterflies- one of the most freeing moments. Add in the off-leash success and you've described a memorable time. Thanks for reminding.

    Scenery like that on a day hike? whoa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the scenery is one thing that's nice about living in GP. It's surrounded by mountains and can't be developed much farther so that leaves plenty of beautiful places intact.
    This trail is only 10 minutes from my house. There are a couple smaller ones that connect to it and they go on for miles. I haven't explored any of them though, since I don't know which ones do and which ones don't lead to some rich person's property.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job Conker. =)

    And indeed, if I can't stay where I am (given my field, it's 99% likely I won't be able to), I sure wouldn't mind a job in a nice college town in the the PNW...

    ReplyDelete