Today I was chilling with Conker in the backyard since there is a great lack of anything else interesting to do. First we chilled by the pool, then on the diving board, then in the shade and lastly by some ivy-bush things.
Conker suddenly dove into the ivy, nose going a mile a minute, his eyes glued to the twisting vines under the leaves. He jumped around rapidly, ears alert, in a stiff but limber stance. He was hunting.
What was Conker hunting? I asked myself as I parted some of the vines. Then I saw it. The slick black body, slightly kneeled scales, bright yellow and red stripes. Another Northwest Garter Snake. This snake was a crafty one and eluded both Conker and I as we searched the ivy for it. I with the intention to remove it and place it in safety on the other side of the chain-link fence and Conker with the intention to kill and eat.
I spotted the snake several more times as I combed the brush for it. Conker, much to my surprise, was actually very responsive to me while we were searching. I thought for sure if he got the snake first there would be no stopping him. But instead he listened to every command I gave and went where I pointed. (I directed him away from the snake.) I guess since we were both hunting the snake we were a team. If he was the only one doing it he might not have listened to me.
After a while of not seeing the crafty snake (I grabbed him several times but I don't like pulling on them when they are tangled) I was about to give up. Conker was off sniffing another set of ivy that snakes are known to hide in. But alas, the snake re-appeared and I was able to snatch him before he could hide again and before the now alerted Shiba did.
I carried the angry snake down to the lower yard and to the chain-link fence where I have released the other snakes I've caught. Conker kept trying to jump and grab the snake and chased it when I put it down near the fence. But the snake was too quick for him and he didn't get it.
As awesome as Conker catching a snake would have been, I do not want him to think snakes are fun to chase. There are rattlers up here, though somewhat rare, and while Conker was very fast I don't think he is faster than one of them.
Today Conker got:
Halved turkey neck and scraps, beef meat and kidney, chicken liver, heart and gizzard.
No comments:
Post a Comment