She still has a few problems with smaller dogs, smaller than Conker, but for the most part she is doing quite well. What she does with these smaller dogs is locks on with her Border Collie eyes and follows them really really closely and obsessively. Some of them don't like it and I often have to take her to the other side of the park, have her sit and try to distract her with a ball. But once I can get her attention on the ball...
That's all she sees. She turns into a typical Border Collie with gottagettheball syndrome. She will fetch until she collapses but I don't let her get to that point. I will end the game and walk away and let her lay down and mouth the ball or lay her head on it.
When asked if I can have the ball she will let me have it. On a return if she drops the ball too far away I can tell her to pick it up and bring it closer. A lot of the time she will put it right where I point. Sometimes she will end the game before me and go and lay in the grass and mouth her ball. And a funny thing is that once she picks a ball that is the only one she will play with. There were eleven tennis balls at the dog park yesterday and she would only play with one. If I threw another ball she would chase but not bring it back. She would stop and sniff it then search frantically for her chosen ball, and if she couldn't find it she'd come back with a confused look on her face.
Conker on the other hand, he fetches when he wants to, brings it back when he wants to, puts it where he wants to and will stop playing when he wants to. He will also "hunt" Juneau (or any other dog for that matter) while they are returning the ball. He will lay down and concentrate on the dog then rush and do his stupid Shiba growl thing at them and try to get them to drop the ball. If they do he marches away all triumphantly. If not, he tries again on the next return.
Juneau got fed up with this yesterday and growled, barked and attempted to correct him. Conker took that as a personal insult against his righteous self and attacked. And wouldn't stop. Sometimes he is so stupid, he just doesn't know when to quit. Juneau is two and a quarter times his size and easily put him on the ground. Did that stop him? No, that made it worse. I puled Juneau off him and got her to stop. He again kept trying to attack. Not until after I shoved Conker away did he calm down a bit but still tried to get a bite on on Juneau.
Funny thing was, even though he looked like he was trying real hard to rip her face off he was the one who got hurt.
I checked them both over real good and this was the only thing I could find. And frankly, he deserved it. He is such an ass sometimes. I try not to let him do that stupid thing with dogs who are fetching since sometimes they can be possessive, but with Juneau he just wouldn't quit. So he got leashed and after about ten minutes since he was still pretty riled up had to sit quietly by my side as Juneau fetched a couple more times. He didn't attempt to rush Juneau again, but I doubt he's given it up entirely.
Today Conker got: Beef meat, liver and kidney, chicken heart, lamb scraps, turkey neck piece.
No comments:
Post a Comment