Pages

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Dollar Hill Hike

Haven't been to the Hill in a while and today was unusually cloudy so I grabbed Conker and went hiking.  The poison oak rash is just a mass of flaky itch now and doesn't bug me enough to prevent me from hiking anymore.
I am again out of shape and have decided I'm going to kick myself if I don't get out and hike or walk for at least five miles every day.

Anyways, we ran into something I haven't seen on Dollar hill before.  Mountain bikers!  The trail strikes me as immensely steep and gouged for that (very washed out in a lot of places) but these guys looked like they knew what they were doing.
The first one was on the rockstop just below the top of the hill.  Conker saw him first and went all beserk on him, standing stiffly and baying at him.  Since I didn't know he was up there Conker was unleashed but he didn't move after he saw the guy so I was able to get him and leash up as we passed.  The second biker passed us on the way down.  He was polite enough to announce his presence so I could grab Conker and step off the trail for him.  I've had a lot of bikers just blast by without a warning.  Conker didn't bark at this guy but wanted to chase him so I had to leash him for a couple minutes until he didn't want to chase anymore.

It was supposedly 84 degrees when we went hiking but the slight cloud cover and wind dropped it down enough that it wasn't too hot for either of us.  


Conker is turning out to be very reliable off-leash.  Sometimes he will stop to sniff and I'll keep going and he will catch right up again.  He is also learning to stop and look back to see where I am or wait for me to catch up.  I am also starting to feel more comfortable with letting him get out of sight since every time he has stopped and waited or come back to find me.  He hasn't run off after any of the critters we've seen and when there are people he barks instead of running.

No comments:

Post a Comment