Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Today Conker Got...

The rest of my brown rice.  Goshdangit I wanted some of that.

I have been messing around with Conker's meals for the past week or so.  Punching ingredient values and numbers into spreadsheets and whatnot to try to find a better way of getting Conker the stuff he needs.  I feel that even though the prey-model diet is great, it's not 100% in terms of optimal nutrition and is greatly lacking in some things you don't get from meat-based objects.
Yes, I am not feeding only meat, bones and organs anymore.  I never was going to stick to just that anyways, but his meals are still mainly meat and the meat don't get cooked unless it smells like funky.


So!  What did Conker get today?

1/2 cup of overcooked brown rice
1 large egg
4 ounces of beef
2 ounces of canned fish
1-2 ounces of turkey neck (meat and bone)
1 ounce canned pumpkin
A dash of olive oil

And his regular supplements for joints and teeth, that kinda crap.


Something I have noticed, since adding grains to Conker's diet. 
Increased digestion.
That's right.  The grain meals, even those that include meat, digest better and come out smaller than the meat-only meals.  If I cook the grains right that is.  I tend to like my grains undercooked, so it's incredibly hard for me to cook them "just right" for most people, especially slightly overcooked like how Conker likes them.  It drives me nuts having to do that since I don't want to eat any leftovers from Conker's meals (isn't it usually the other way around?) and I don't like to freeze them.

Anywho, I need to go to Rays and get some more stuff, mainly rices and oats.  And some barley, I wanna make some beef n' barley soup for me.  I love that stuff, so delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Complex carbohydrates tend to slow the digestion process a little, so more digestion takes place in the small intestine, and more water is absorbed from the results in the colon. For some dogs, veggies work fine, for others, grains. Some dogs are very picky about the kind of fiber they will tolerate, as well.

    Feed the dog, not the dogma ;)

    ReplyDelete