The Hip Action treats come in three flavors. Peanut Butter, Chicken and Beef. I got the Peanut Butter flavor to try first.
Ingredients: Ground Rice, Ground Oats, Peanut Butter, Malted Barley, Maple Syrup, Gelatin, Vegetable Glycerin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Fresh Apples, Fresh Carrots, Ground Flax Seed, Fresh Blueberries, Lecithin, Salt, Phosphoric Acid (a natural acidifier), Garlic Powder, Sorbic Acid (a preservative), Chondroitin Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Sodium Selenite.
The ingredients are similar to the Jerky and Mini Naturals but with a few added things and the Glucosamine and Chondroitin stuffs.
Guaranteed Analysis – Peanut Butter | |
|---|---|
| Protein | not less than 10% |
| Fat | not less than 8% |
| Fiber | not more than 3% |
| Moisture | not more than 30% |
| Glucosamine HCl* | not less than 300mg |
| Chondroitin Sulfate* | not less than 50mg |
| Calories | Approximately 31 per piece |
The Hip Action treats are slightly bigger than the Jerky Naturals which are about 1 inch a piece. It's also slightly thicker. There are about 25 per bag and according to Zuke's you should give:
| Small dogs (46 lbs. and under) | 1 treat daily |
| Medium/Large dogs (92 lbs. and under) | 2 treats daily |
| Giant dogs (138 lbs. and under) | 3 treats daily |
So if you've got a smallish dog these will last about a month.
While Conker's joint health has improved drastically since I began adding things like salmon oil and a Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM supplement to his diet, the joints did not get worse when I ran out of Hip Action treats. My guess is since they weren't adding too much when compared to the G/C/MSM thing that they didn't really make that big of a difference. But if fed alone I imagine you might notice with a dog who had obvious joint problems when you started/ran out.
I mainly use these treats when I go hiking since I can't take my joint supplement with me (needs to be refrigerated) so I give a couple of these treats instead. I also like to use them during or around times of high exercise.
Anyways, I really like these treats since they are so similar to the Jerky Naturals. But with the price increase of $2-3 I don't buy them very often since Conker already gets a joint supplement. However, for this type of treat the increase in price is pretty typical. Either way they are a good choice for older or arthritic dogs if you don't mind paying a bit more for them.
EDIT: I can regularly find these for $6.99 instead of $8.69 but the price is still rated by the higher one since it's more common.
Misaki loves these treats. She gets half in the morning and half before bed. While she doesn't have any joint issues, she is now eight years old and we figure they definitely won't hurt. She also gets a squirt of salmon oil on her meals.
ReplyDelete