Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

EVO Wild Cravings: Herring

I've seen these treats a couple times in the past but for some reason I've never picked them up.  I decided today to give them a try.  You can read about them on it's website.

The package is actually teal, not blue.
Anyways, I got these for $4.99 and it contains 10 ounces of treats.  One thing I liked about these was the fish.  They are fish-based treats and fish treats, at least in my area, normally cost a lot more than other treats.  They also have glucosamine and chondroitin in them.

Ingredients: Herring, Herring Meal, Peas, Pea Fiber, Pumpkin, Tomatoes, Sunflower Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a Natural source of Vitamin E), Herring Oil, Apples, Carrots, Potassium Chloride, Cottage Cheese, Dried Chicory Root, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondoitin Sulfate, Minerals (Zinc Protoinate, Iron Proteinate, Copper Protoinate, Manganese Protoinate, Calcium Iodate), Vitamins (Absorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement,Betaine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Ninacin Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Beta Caratone, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Botin, Folic Acid)

I like how there's two fish ingredients, though they are the same, at the beginning of the list.  I think all the vitamin and mineral supplements are somewhat unnecessary for a treat however, on the bag it states that:  "EVO Wild Cravings Herring Formula Baked Dog Treats are formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for adult dog maintenance.  Therefore, you can feed these treats exclusively to your pet as their sole source of nutrition.  If you choose to feed a smaller amount, please reduce your pet's meal size by the same amount you're giving your pet in these treats.  Always adjust the total amount of food and/or treats to maintain or achieve an ideal body condition."
That's pretty interesting.  It's also got this printed below:

Never seen one of those on a bag of treats or food before.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min)        33 %
Crude Fat (min)        13 %
Crude Fiber (max)        3 %
Moisture (max)        10 %
Linoleic Acid (Omega-6 Fatty Acid) (min)        1 %
Carbohydrates NFE (max)        33 %
Vitamin E (min)        250 IU/kg
Vitamin C (min)        250 mg/kg
Omega-3 Fatty Acids (min)        1.8 %
Glucosamine (min)        689 mg/kg
Chondroitin Sulfate (min)        574 mg/kg

There is a fair amount of glucosamine and chondroitin, more chondroitin (compared to the glucosamine) than I've seen in other joint treats so far.  As a food I guess this is okay for somewhat more active dogs but I haven't really looked into that.  Also, I think feeding just this to anything bigger than a Papillon would cost a lot.

There are four shapes in the bag.  Each one is about 1 1/4 inch long, so they aren't really small but aren't huge either.
Taste wise Conker loved these.  They are crunchy but softer than most crunchy treats and are easily crumbled so they may not hold up too well if they are stuck in a pocket.  They don't smell horrid like some other fish-based treats so if you aren't into stinky treats, you might like these.  As a treat the price is good, as a food not so much but I'm basing the price rating on these being treats.

For those of you who care about this, EVO is owned by Natura who sold out to Proctor and Gamble.  If you don't like P&G then ignore these treats but if you don't give a darn then go ahead and buy them.  They don't appear to contain any horrible low-quality ingredients so I think they are safe.

1 comment:

  1. we have these too. even though they aren't the worst-smelling fish cookies, they do have a fish scent that some people don't like. we've found putting these in the freezer helps to hide the smell (although as they warm back up, the smell returns).

    ReplyDelete